Safety should be your top priority as a new motorcycle rider in the Opelika, AL area. Here are some tips from us at Elliott & Associates Insurance to help you stay safe on the road:
1. Wear protective gear. Helmets, riding jackets, gloves, and other protective clothing can save your life in the event of an accident. Ensure you invest in quality protective gear that fits properly and is designed for motorcycle riding.
2. Take a course. Before starting on your own, consider taking a basic motorcycle safety course to learn proper turning and braking techniques in different weather conditions.
3. Watch your speed. It can be tempting to go fast when you first start out, but speed limits exist for a reason—to keep everyone safe on the road. Adhere to posted speed limits and be aware of speed changes around curves or corners where visibility is limited.
4. Be visible at night. Nighttime brings additional hazards for motorcyclists because it’s harder for cars to see you coming from behind or at intersections. Ensure your bike has reflective side panels, turn signals that work correctly, and bright headlights so other vehicles know you’re there.
5. Check before you go out riding each time. Every time you get ready to go out on the bike, make sure all fluids are topped off, tires are properly inflated, brakes are working correctly, controls are functioning properly, and mirrors are clean and adjusted correctly before hitting the open road.
Following these simple tips for safe riding as a new motorcyclist’ll increase your chances of having an enjoyable ride! For more tips, please call us at Elliott & Associates Insurance today. We are proud to serve the Opelika, AL area.