Home insurance policies are usually referred to as “all-risk” insurance covers. While this is true in most instances, home insurance policies may not insure all risks that may cause loss of property or damage to your home. One of the commonly excluded risks is the earth movement, which excludes earthquakes.
The reason it is referred to as earth movement is that the exclusion is much wider than just earthquakes. Numerous types of moving or shifting earth are usually not covered by your insurance policy. You may be surprised to find out that some of these perils may be very difficult to insure, no matter the amount of premium you are willing to contribute. An earth movement policy is not something required in Alabama. You should, therefore, look for an insurance company such as Elliott & Associates Insurance in Opelika, AL which will take care of every need you may have.
Earth Movement Exclusions
The standard home insurance coverage’s definition of excluded earth movement extends to include shifting, sinking, contracting, or expanding earth. All these exclusions can also be combined with water or not. This implies that if you think of earth movement as seismic activity and earthquakes, you will miss out on some key exclusions that may result in large uninsured damages to your home.
- Sinking – When the ground beneath your home settles, this is known as sinking. Poor compaction or erosion can lead to sinking.
- Rising – This is the opposite of sinking. When the soil beneath your home rises, this is called rising. While rain or water may result in erosion, then too much water may lead to expansion.
- Shifting – Rising and sinking usually covers the vertical movements while shifting covers the lateral movements.
- Expanding – This complements rising earth. In fact, it expounds on the possibility of earth expanding.
- Contracting – Sinking earth is quite the same as to contracting earth.
For a more comprehensive coverage of your home insurance, you will need to look for an insurance company such as Elliott & Associates Insurance in Opelika, AL that can walk you through the process. Reach out to our agents to learn more about your home insurance policy.